Posted December 5th, 2012 under Nutrition Tips
Dairy Free Sound Crazy to You TRY IT YOU MAY NOT GO BACK
Tags: Dairy Free Sound Crazy to You TRY IT YOU MAY NOT GO BACK, , bootcamp, personal training, boot camp, health and wellness, fitness and nutrition
I challenge you to try it for 10 days & see what you think! You may not go back!
After reading more & more about the potential health problems associated w/ milk today, the toxins it contains, negative effects on thyroid function & association with auto immune symptoms, I decided to give it a try!
Shaun T. also suggests going dairy-free in his Insanity: The Asylum program/nutrition guide. It's been since April of this year that I have had any milk products and I don't miss it!
Why Did I Choose Dairy-Free?
1. Research shows countries that consume the most dairy – the United States, Sweden and Finland - are the ones with the highest rates of osteoporosis.
2. Dairy can cause digestive disorders & allergies. Most adults & some children are unable to properly digest milk sugar (lactose). Our body responds to undigested lactose with mucous and inflammation. - - - I've seen this first hand in my daughter & nephew. Excess mucous clogs up your digestive & respiratory tracts, resulting in frequent colds, asthma, allergies, sinus problems, tumors, cysts, constipation, colon trouble, Candidiasis, and excess weight. People suffering from these conditions often experience “miraculous” recovery when they eliminate dairy.
3. Eating dairy products also contributes to an "acidic condition" in your body, the perfect environment for a wide variety of diseases. Regular dairy consumption has been linked to each of the following diseases: Acne, Anemia, Arthritis, ADD, Headaches, Osteoporosis, Low Immune, Allergies, Ear infections, Colic, Obesity, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Breast, prostate and ovarian cancers, Sinus infections.
4. Modern milk products come from factory farms with practices aimed at increasing profit (more important than public health). To optimize production, cows are given large amounts of antibiotics, steroids & growth hormones, all which are transmitted to the milk in concentrated doses. Cows are milked throughout their pregnancies & pushed to their limit of milk production, stimulating the release of stress and sex hormones into the milk. The presence of these hormones is linked to the early onset of puberty of young girls & development of hormone related cancers (breast, prostate and ovarian). (Organic is a little better, but not completely).
5. Milk Cows on factory farms are exposed to high levels of environmental toxins from their feed, water & surroundings. The cow’s body naturally protects itself by storing these toxins in its fatty tissues & milk. Consequently, high levels of concentrated dioxins, pesticides, other toxins end up in the milk supply. Guess where we store toxins too??? FAT TISSUE.
6. All commercial milk is pasteurized & homogenized. Pasteurization is designed to kill harmful bacteria. It also destroys nutrients and the vital enzymes needed to digest the milk. (Until I can get my kids completely off milk, they drink RAW milk now).
***SEE HOW YOU FEEL. Lighter, more energy, less congestion, less sluggish, better digestion/elimination????
Living Without Milk...
NOT HARD! You can get still get plenty of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D through other whole food sources. Dark leafy greens, Sesame seeds, Quinoa, Raw almonds & Beans are good sources of calcium. Eating these foods on a regular basis also helps reduce dairy cravings by giving your body the nutrients it truly needs.
Healthy Milk Substitutes
Almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk & hemp milk can be made at home or purchased in a store. However, I avoid soy milk/soy products as substitutes as they are linked to hormonal issues including hormonal cancers, PMS and menopause complications.
I was never a big cheese person, so giving that part up was not difficult. I just pile on other flavorful foods for toppings, such as avocado, beans, nuts, salsa and veggies. Also, daiya cheese (vegan) or nutritional yeast can be used as substitutes.
Ice Cream Substitute
Sorbet, Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss (made with coconut milk), Rice Dream (made with rice milk) and HempScream (made with hemp milk). You can use Shakeology to make ice cream and popsicles (see recipes on my FB Page). Even check out the Yonana maker!
Coconut oil, olive oil as our main butter replacement for baking & cooking.
Leave Us A Comment